-- Australia: Parental smacking: 2 clips.
(1) Short TV news item (September 2006) on a controversy over whether the smacking of kids should be outlawed in Australia.
(2) Brief extracts from a TV documentary showing an Australian mother spanking her daughters.
-- Canada: TV news item (April 2007) about a local school board that is offering parents lessons in how to spank their children.
A posed reconstruction of a child being spanked is shown over a telephone interview in French with a psychologist who has helped devise the spanking lessons for parents.
-- Canada: TV news item on legal battles over parental CP.
Clip (June 2003) shows parents spanking small children, interviews with a Christian father who spanks, lawyers, and activists, as anti-CP agitators take their case to Canadian Supreme Court.
-- United States: Father is filmed whipping his son with a belt.
In California, a man punishing his son in his garden attracts the attention of prying neighbors. TV report (June 2012).
-- United States: Father "wrongly accused of child abuse".
A man who spanked his 9-year-old son is shocked to be charged with child abuse, an accusation his lawyer describes as unwarranted. TV report (Feb 2011) from Colorado.
-- United States: Young men whipped by their relatives. Three clips.
(1) A teenager gets a whipping from his angry uncle's belt.
(2) A boy is punished in a light-hearted atmosphere.
(3) A young lad is whipped at school by his father.
-- United States: When does discipline become a crime?
Report (April 2010) on a man in Minnesota who spanked his 12-year-old son for 15 minutes.
-- United States: Study: Spanking may not be all bad for children.
News report (Jan 2010) on a piece of research which suggests that there is no evidence to support a legal ban on spanking children.
-- United States: Proposal to ban spanking in Massachusetts.
Three TV news films giving CBS, ABC and Fox takes on a 2007 bill (which failed) in Massachusetts that would have outlawed parental corporal punishment in the home. Various parents spanking their bratty toddlers are briefly shown.
-- United States: Court upholds parental spanking.
TV news report on a decision by the Indiana Supreme Court (June 2008) that corporal punishment by parents is lawful, even if it leaves bruises.
-- United States: Spanking controversy.
10-minute news report from Florida (2007) about a man who is in trouble for spanking his 8-year-old son with a belt. Includes interview with the man and his lawyer.
-- United States: Man beat son with wooden paddle.
Two-minute TV news item from Ohio (2009) about police questioning of a parent who spanked his son with a paddle.
-- United States: Free paddles for parents.
Two rival TV news items on Joey Salvati of Pennsylvania, who, in obedience to a message from God, makes paddles and sends them free to parents who wish to discipline their kids.
-- United States: TV news item on controversy over woman who came into classroom and whipped her nephew (Feb 2007).
The clip includes interviews with a mother whose daughter saw the spanking and with a school district spokesman.
-- United States: "Would you whoop your kids?"
Light-hearted interviews on American street with people of differing ethnic backgrounds and views on parental spanking.
-- Argentina: Taekwondo belting.
A youngster gets a whacking from his taekwondo teammates to celebrate winning his black belt.
-- Japan: Whipping custom at ancient festival.
Visitors to a cultural festival get their backsides jocularly whacked by men in masks.
-- Mexico: Initiation paddlings -- two clips.
(1) At an air training school, a man gets whacked with a hefty paddle as his mates look on with amusement.
(2) A soldier is paddled in an office.
-- Poland: 18th birthday spankings: Six clips, one of which is.
College boys get 18 whoops with a belt on the seat of their jeans in a Polish birthday tradition.
-- Poland: Initiation beltings.
(1) A new member of a football team is welcomed with a severe whipping.
(2) Three Polish Army officers are initiated in a mass belting session.
-- Romania: Sports team initiation.
In a dormitory somewhere in Romania, serious bare-bottom pain for a young man being initiated into a sports team.
-- Russia: Three films of initiation spankings for army recruits.
(1) Three new entrants are welcomed with a ceremony that leaves them with very sore behinds.
(2) From a TV documentary about the Russian army. Rookie soldiers get a taste of the belt from their mates.
(3) A young soldier bends over his bed for a hard whack with a paddle.
-- United States: Foot Locker commercial.
In a humorous advertisement for a chain of sports shoe shops, a young woman tries out various different sneakers with which to punish her boyfriend across the seat of his boxers. Part of our "Spank while you sell" feature on CP imagery in advertising.
-- United States: Fun paddlings.
(1) Two young men demonstrate the use of the paddle for fun, and its after-effects.
(2) An American soldier in Iraq gets a paddle swat from one of his mates.
(3) A real one-swat college fraternity paddling.
-- United States: "Mikey Getting Paddled".
A jocular birthday paddling in a classroom, date and location unknown. The implement used might be the school's real paddle.
-- United States: Two spanking machines. Part of our feature The Spanking Machine: A Resilient Myth in Popular Culture.
(1) An inventor demonstrates his experimental spanking machine on himself.
(2) Self-operated paddling device made out of an exercise bicycle.
-- Venezuela: Whipping of a girl.
A "first menstruation" rite-of-passage ceremony for girls in Venezuela.
-- Australia: News report, Feb 2013: Court case about the "Sharia" whipping of a Muslim convert.
-- Canada: Spanking by store-owner.
News report, June 2012: A shopkeeper in Quebec foils a would-be young robber and spanks his bare bottom.
-- Iran: Three boys spanked in public.
Caught on camera at a public swimming pool in present-day Iran, punishment is administered with a flipper by the swim coach.
-- Serbia: Unofficial paddling at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre.
-- South Africa: An unofficial whipping of alleged teenage rapists by vigilantes, filmed in 1999.
-- Switzerland: Army recruits get a belting, 2010.
-- United States: Man spanks young man who is supposedly his daughter's boyfriend after they allegedly had underage sex. Might be staged as a stunt.
-- United States: Vigilante gang charged with brutal spanking of alleged forger.
Very brief TV news report (Sep 2008) includes a glimpse of the accused in custody at a preliminary hearing.
-- United States: Workplace spanking.
TV news report (Jan 2008) on a case in which a woman had been spanked at work. A court awarded her compensation, but this was overturned on appeal.
-- United States: Judge accused of paddling inmates.
TV news item (Sep 2007) about allegations that a judge in Alabama removed young men from prison and paddled them in his office. The NAACP says it is all a conspiracy against the judge.
-- United States: More on Judge Thomas.
A March 2009 follow-up to the previous item. The judge is barred from practising as a lawyer.
-- United States: Another follow-up on ex-judge Thomas (April 2009).
The Alabama State Bar finds evidence that he is a "sexual predator" but on camera he denies everything.
-- Zimbabwe: Police recruits initiation.
Video camera captures mass whacking at police training camp in 2009.
-- Unknown African country: Village whipping.
--Various countries - 6 clips
Six scenes of extrajudicial or unofficial punishment in Mexico (3), Iraq (2), and Brazil (1). Some readers may find these scenes distasteful or harrowing.
-- Afghanistan: Flogged for escaping marriage.
Protracted flogging by local mullahs of a teenage girl for running away from a forced marriage, January 2010.
-- Afghanistan: Woman flogged.
This 10-second video clip gives a fleeting glimpse of an impromptu flogging by the Taliban of a (mostly hidden from view) woman in a Kabul street, 2001.
-- Colombia: Youth gets a public whipping on his legs as part of a tribal community punishment for murder (2008).
-- Colombia: More public whippings on the legs by tribal custom, this time of three FARC rebels for disturbing the peace.
With news item (July 2012).
-- Ecuador: Various offenders (male and female) whipped in public tribal punishment. Three clips.
-- Guatemala: Several young men whipped on the bare back in a community punishment ceremony.
-- Guatemala: TV news clip shows four youths aged 18-20 receiving a public whipping from their elders on the orders of the local tribal court.
-- Hong Kong: Demonstration in the prison museum of the A-frame and cane formerly used for judicial CP.
-- India: Police floggings. Five clips.
(1) News item (2007): two youths get an unofficial flogging by police in a city street.
(2) In a police station in the Indian part of Punjab (2010), a youth is punished with the "patta", more often seen in Pakistani Punjab.
(3) Two men flogged with canes (2013) in what appears to be an attempt to extract confessions.
(4) Three youths get a strapping by women police for sexual harassment.
(5) Five men severely caned outdoors.
-- Indonesia: Two video clips of public canings in Aceh province.
(1) A man and a woman are each given 7 strokes in 2007. This gives a much clearer picture of the procedure than previous clips.
(2) An earlier and less clear film from local TV in which a man and a woman are punished.
-- Indonesia: Unofficial public whipping for five youths.
-- Iran: Five video clips of public floggings.
(1) A man gets 80 lashes with a whip while tied to a tree. Not for the squeamish.
(2) A poor-quality video of a man receiving about 40 lashes as he is held facing a wall.
(3) An offender is caned in public while lying flat on a bench, date unknown.
(4) 12 strokes with a whip are administered to a culprit lying flat on the ground.
(5) A man receives a public whipping for drinking alcohol.
-- Isle of Man: TV news footage from 1978.
This relates to the Court of Human Rights decision which condemned Manx JCP. Birches are shown at police station; a policeman explains the rules and regulations. An adjunct to our feature article on birching in the Isle of Man.
-- Jersey: 53 years after being birched as a teenage criminal, an old man is interviewed about it. We also see the contraption used, still in storage after lying idle for 40 years.
-- Libya: Mass public whipping, 2013.
-- Malaysia: Three youths caned in open court.
June 2013: Freshly whipped lads seen in the court corridors.
-- Malaysia: 22-year-old drug trafficker gets whipping.
June 2013: Scenes of the accused at the court premises.
-- Malaysia: Company executive sentenced to caning.
May 2013: The convict is seen being escorted through the court buildings at his trial.
-- Malaysia: Former policeman's appeal against caning sentence is rejected.
Jan 2013: Scenes in court precincts as man to be caned for sexual offences is led to and fro.
-- Malaysia: Two youngsters sentenced to caning.
Dec 2012: Two young men are paraded before TV cameras on the courtroom steps after being sentenced to strokes of the rotan for rape and robbery.
-- Malaysia: Illegal immigrants caned.
Australian TV report, Feb 2011, on Malaysia's efforts, aided by the Australian government, to track down illegal immigrants and the people responsible for smuggling them. The Malaysian authorities remain unrepentant about their tough stance, which includes caning.
-- Malaysia: Illegal immigrants caned.
An earlier (2009) report on the same subject, including a view of an illegal immigrant's bottom after one stroke of the rotan.
-- Malaysia: Real JCP session.
A 22-minute film showing several genuine judicial canings in prison. Very graphic - not suitable for squeamish viewers.
-- Malaysia: Another prison caning.
4-minute graphic footage of a different real-life Malaysian judicial caning. This is the full-length version of a 10-stroke caning for which we previously had only an "edited highlights" version. Not suitable for squeamish viewers.
-- Malaysia: Furore over caning sentence on woman. Two clips.
(1) Woman sentenced to Sharia caning for drinking beer asks for the punishment to be administered in public. (In fact, it was never administered at all.)
(2) 3-minute TV report (Aug 2009) gives background to the case. Includes an interview with her.
-- Malaysia: Syariah (religious) caning. Two clips.
(1) Demonstration on a dummy of the difference between the caning of Muslim men or women by order of religious courts (mild) and the judicial caning of male criminals (severe).
(2) Part of the Syariah caning of a woman is shown. This was one of three, the first-ever canings of women in Malaysia (Feb 2010).
-- Mali: Public whippings -- two video clips.
(1) Brief amateur video of a public whipping for alcohol use in Timbuktu following takeover by Islamist militants (2012).
(2) A man and a woman are seen being publicly flogged for adultery (2012).
-- Nigeria: Judicial whippings.
Two 4-minute extracts from a documentary about Sharia law in Zamfara state, Nigeria. A number of court-ordered whippings are shown being administered.
-- Nigeria: Caning ordered by local court. New!
Part of the 25-stroke caning of a man is caught on film.
-- Pakistan: Three public floggings.
(1) A brief silent glimpse of an official caning in front of a crowd of thousands under the Zia regime, c.1980.
(2) Brief film of a another public caning of that era, and of the offender being carried away afterwards.
(3) Two drug dealers flogged by the Taliban in 2009 in Swat.
-- Pakistan: More half-baked Taliban floggings (Feb 2010).
-- Pakistan: Eight clips of CP being administered by police in Punjab.
(1) In Punjab, half a dozen prisoners are disembarked from a police van and given a public paddling in the street.
(2) A youth is slippered on his bare backside in a Lahore police station.
(3) A young man is similarly punished in a Punjab police station.
(4) In a Punjab police station yard, two offenders receive corporal punishment with the "patta".
(5) An offender receives a caning in a police station.
(6) Several thieves punished in a public place with the "patta" or leather paddle.
(7) More police whippings with the patta.
(8) Seven youths are disciplined with the "patta" in a very public place.
-- Pakistan: Young woman receives public flogging from the Taliban.
An unofficial flogging in the Swat Valley makes international headlines in April 2009.
-- Peru: Four clips showing public whippings by the local community in the Cajamarca region.
(1) A young man and women are whipped for adultery.
(2) Several men receive CP for using prostitutes, as does a prostitute herself.
(3) Three youthful robbers bend over to be punished across the seat of their jeans.
(4) A boy and a girl are disciplined with the whip for having a sexual relationship.
-- Saudi Arabia: A public whipping.
A video clip of Saudi JCP.
-- Saudi Arabia: Mass falaka in prison.
Prisoners are seen being whipped on the soles of their feet. Not for squeamish viewers.
-- Singapore: TV news broadcast from 1994 on the vandalism case involving Michael Fay but also, shown speaking here, 17-year-old Andy Shiu Chi Ho, who was to be caned two months after this appearance.
-- Singapore: Two video reports (July 2012).
(1) A 22-year-old is awarded a five-stroke caning for blackmail.
(2) Four youths aged between 19 and 23 receive varying caning sentences for rioting.
-- Singapore: Video report (May 2012) on a caning sentence for a young rioter.
-- Singapore: Three video reports (June 2010) on Swiss vandal Oliver Fricker, his offences and his caning sentence.
-- Singapore: "Rapist gets 28 years jail and 24 strokes".
Video report from the scene of the crime, April 2007.
-- Singapore: Staged reconstruction of a judicial caning in prison, from an official government film.
-- Singapore: Two videos on the "AWOL soldier with gun" affair.
(1) September 2007: National serviceman Dave Teo, 20, is arrested with an accomplice.
(2) July 2008: Teo is convicted and sentenced to jail plus 18 strokes of the cane. TV report gives background to the case.
-- Somalia: Two TV news reports of inept public floggings by Islamist militants.
-- Sudan: Public whipping of a woman for wearing trousers (Dec 2010). A very unpleasant scene, made worse by the stupid manner in which it is carried out.
-- Syria: Whippings by Islamist forces who have taken control of parts of Syria. Three films.
(1) May 2013: Two men publicly whipped while lying on the ground.
(2) 2013: Alleged informants are whipped on the soles of the feet. New!
(3) Early 2014: Two kneeling men are publicly whipped for unknown reasons. New!
-- United States: Two news clips (June 2008) about a Texas judge who offers parents the option of paddling their youngsters in his courtroom.
-- United States: PBS TV interview (2011) (6 minutes) with Peter Moskos, who discusses his book advocating flogging as an optional replacement for imprisonment in certain cases.
-- Yemen: Three prisoners, at least one of whom is a woman, are seen being whipped.
-- Malaysia: Unofficial caning.
Members of a commando unit in the Malaysian army get an unofficial on-the-spot caning in front of their comrades.
-- Thailand: Young soldiers caned in front of their comrades. Two clips.
-- United Kingdom: Unofficial slippering for an army lad.
A present-day British soldier is "sentenced" by his mates to a pants-down slippering. It is a light-hearted affair, but a real punishment none the less.
-- United Kingdom: Short item from cinema newsreel, 1948.
The clip relates to a supposed 'controversy' about caning for teenage soldiers at army apprentice school. Also another brief clip, evidently from out-takes (filmed for the same item but not used), of army lads discussing the choice between taking a caning and being confined to barracks. In fact the 'controversy' was manufactured, and CP for British army boys was accepted as quite normal within the service (though rarely mentioned outside it) until the cane was abolished in about 1955.
-- United Kingdom: A man describes getting the cane in the 1930s on a naval training ship.
-- Venezuela: Paddlings of prisoners.
Five clips of formal but illegal CP by police or prison officials.
-- Various countries: Five video clips of jocular class spankings.
-- Africa (country unknown): A schoolboy receives "six of the best".
-- Australia: Segment (June 2007) from a factual TV programme for children about suggestions that school CP should be brought back.
-- Australia: TV feature compares past and present treatment of schoolboy misbehaviour.
-- Australia: Cricket legend Shane Warne describes being caned at school in the 1980s.
-- Bangladesh: Senior boys line up to be paddled in the classroom.
-- Canada: A real private-school paddling is caught on film in 1974.
Three versions of a scene from the St Johns schools of Canada, part of our series on "Top CP Schools".
-- China: Caning at martial arts academy.
Three young men undergo what appears to be a somewhat symbolic punishment.
-- China: Classroom canings: Nine clips.
(1) Five boys each receive four strokes on the backside in front of their class.
(2) A boy in army uniform bends over to be caned.
(3) A young lady teacher does her best to cane a senior boy amid jocularity.
(4) A mass bare-bottom paddling of technical school students.
(5) A lady teacher whacks two boys in class with a small stick.
(6) Four secondary boys get a quick-fire paddling in class.
(7) Secondary students get a hard paddle swat at front of class.
(8) A succession of boys and girls are punished with a ruler on the hands.
(9) Seven secondary boys vigorously whacked with a brookstick.
-- Denmark: The cane, outlawed in 1967, is shown in the Danish School Museum.
-- Ecuador: Two senior students get strapped on the backside in class.
-- Ghana: Random mass schoolyard caning of secondary girls and boys.
-- Indonesia: Public flogging at an Islamic boarding school.
-- Iran: Senior school students caned on the hands.
Senior pupils in a classroom in Iran have to put up their hands for punishment with a yardstick.
-- Iraq: Senior school students strapped on the hands.
In a classroom somewhere in Iraq, several pupils are made to hold out their hands to be punished by their teacher with what looks like a small rubber strap.
-- Ivory Coast: Secondary students whipped in school courtyard.
Soldiers assist in holding two secondary schoolboys down while their headmaster whips them.
-- Japan: Canings at cycle racing school.
-- Kenya: Outdoor mass punishments of school students.
-- Malaysia: Four clips showing real-life schoolboy canings.
-- New Zealand: TV news item (2006) about a Christian school defying the legal ban on corporal punishment.
-- New Zealand: TV news item (2007) about another Christian school, which gets round the ban on corporal punishment by having parents come to the school to administer a paddling.
-- Nigeria: A chaotic and bizarre mass whipping of boys and girls is filmed.
-- Pakistan: Mass schoolboy punishments. Nine clips.
(1) Secondary boys in uniform are lined up at a college in Rawalpindi to receive one stroke of the cane each.
(2) Several students are seen being punished in a schoolyard in Azad Kashmir, under Pakistani rule.
(3) Senior schoolboys caned at a boarding school.
(4) Several college students get whackings in class.
(5) Senior students at a college in Punjab bend over for classroom punishment.
(6) A mass slippering of male school students, witnessed by both sexes.
(7) More of the above.
(8) Mass caning of senior students bending over in a school courtyard.
(9) Caning of a line of kneeling post-secondary students in Peshawar. New!
-- St Lucia: TV news report on the caning of a schoolboy, Sep 2009.
Mother says son, 11, was punished too severely; interview with Education Minister; pictures of alleged bruises on buttocks.
-- Sierra Leone: A girl and two boys are caned in front of the whole school.
-- Singapore: Real-life footage of four formal, English-style school caning sessions. Three clips.
(1) Five young lads get a stroke of the cane each for fighting.
(2) An upper secondary student receives two hard strokes of the cane in front of his class.
(3) An upper secondary boy bends over on stage to be disciplined in front of the whole school.
(4) A secondary boy undergoes a two-stroke caning in front of his classmates.
-- South Africa: Mass caning of schoolgirls.
Female students illegally caned. News item (Oct 2013) with video of the punishment.
-- South Korea: Eight real-life clips of schoolgirls being caned or paddled on their bottoms.
(1) Three girls are summoned in turn to the front of the class for a caning.
(2) Four students paddled by their lady teacher at the front of the class.
(3) About a dozen girls are caned in a schoolyard.
(4) A female high school student receives five strokes of the cane in front of her class. (Improved version)
(5) Two younger girls are given light-hearted taps with a cane.
(6) TV news item (in Korean) includes real-life footage of a mass whacking of schoolgirls across the seat of their skirts. This one is serious and not in fun at all.
(7) TV news item (in Korean) shows the bruised bottoms of teenage girls caned at a boarding school.
(8) A corridor caning for an unpunctual student, in a light-hearted atmosphere.
-- South Korea: Eleven real-life clips of schoolboys receiving school discipline across the seat of their trousers.
(1) Two secondary boys are briskly caned in a school corridor.
(2) A boy faces the blackboard to be punished with what looks like a ruler.
(3) Four senior students bend over the desk for a severe caning.
(4) A secondary boy is given a very hard paddling in the classroom.
(5) Four students receive strokes of the cane in a jocular atmosphere.
(6) A secondary student in the classic Korean punishment position receives 10 swats.
(7) Three senior students assume the customary Korean position for a vigorous caning in class.
(8) A mass classroom paddling for a queue of high-school boys.
(9) A student receives six whacks with a metre rule.
(10) A schoolboy is reluctant to submit to a caning but eventually accepts two hard strokes.
(11) 17 mid-teen students in a mass classroom caning. New!
-- South Korea: 15-minute TV programme about corporal punishment.
An Australian documentary reports on caning in Korean schools and gives the pros and cons.
-- South Korea: "Stick of love" ceremony at a boys' high school.
TV news report (in Korean) shows students presenting their teachers with gifts of punishment canes, sent by their parents to help keep them in line.
-- South Korea: Silent clip from a mobile phone of a schoolboy being whacked in fun.
-- Sudan: Classroom canings for secondary students. Two clips.
-- Swaziland: Canings of girls and boys at a village school.
-- Taiwan: A student is paddled in front of his class at a junior high school, 2005, captured on a videophone.
-- Taiwan: High-school baseball coach severely punishes team members.
-- Taiwan: Eight clips of classroom CP.
(1) Three teen boys receive canings across their bottoms for mistakes in an English assignment.
(2) A young student is punished on the hands in class.
(3) Two boys are caned by their lady teacher.
(4) A secondary boy gets a brisk paddling at the teacher's desk.
(5) Boy bends over for punishment with a broomstick.
(6) Two boys each receive a brisk caning over the teacher's desk.
(7) A hard paddling at the front of the class for a secondary student.
(8) Three young boys are caned at the blackboard.
-- Thailand: A video of the caning of a boy in front of his class which attracted media attention in March 2013. With news item.
-- Thailand: A mass caning at a boys' boarding school, which provoked a media storm locally. With news item (Aug 2010).
-- Thailand: Jocular punishment in which schoolboys are made to cane each other in front of their class.
-- Thailand: Five clips of jocular schoolboy canings.
(1) At a Christian school, a lady teacher gives a student one stroke of the cane.
(2) A mass caning of eight senior boys in a jocular atmosphere.
(3) Another jocular mass caning at a boys' school.
(4) Two boys receive a stroke of the cane each from their lady teacher.
(5) Three boys caned at the front of a rowdy classroom.
-- Thailand: Schoolboy canings of a more serious nature - seven video clips.
(1) Two boys at a Christian school receive one stroke of the cane each.
(2) A caning is glimpsed through a classroom window.
(3) A mass caning of nine students at a secondary technical school.
(4) At the same technical school, more schoolboy canings.
(5) Two boys get a stroke of the cane each in the midst of a ball game in the schoolyard.
(6) Caning of morning latecomers outside the school.
(7) Two schoolboys lightly caned in class.
-- Thailand: Six clips of mixed boys/girls secondary school punishments.
(1) A number of students get the ruler on the hand.
(2) Several girls and boys receive posterial canings in a jocular atmosphere.
(3) Eight boys and two girls are given three strokes of the cane each.
(4) Half a dozen boys and one girl receive four strokes each across their bottoms.
(5) Boys and girls queue up on arriving at school to be caned on the seat for lateness.
(6) Mass outdoor canings of students at morning assembly.
-- Thailand: Eight clips of official schoolgirl canings.
(1) Half a dozen schoolgirls are caned on their buttocks.
(2) About 20 girls are punished amid jocularity in a mixed class.
(3) A female student receives one stroke of the cane in a formal setting.
(4) 13 strokes of the cane for a teen.
(5) A secondary schoolgirl is seen through a window receiving three strokes of the cane.
(6) Two more female students receive a caning.
(7) Three senior schoolgirls get three strokes of the cane each in front of the class.
(8) Classroom canings of girls for poor work. New!
-- Tonga: Mass caning by prefects.
In the dormitory of a boarding school in Tonga, a 2011 mass whacking of teen boys by prefects that goes on for nearly 20 minutes. Also an Australian TV news item about the controversy excited by the case.
-- United Kingdom: Bring back the cane?
A BBC feature in two parts (October 2008) about the implications of a survey which found that 20% of British teachers would still like to have corporal punishment brought back in schools.
In the second part, the show's presenter is persuaded to take a caning from a real schoolmaster.
-- United Kingdom: Bring back the cane.
Segment from a daytime TV chat show (March 2007) discussing a survey which found that many parents would like to see corporal punishment reintroduced in schools.
-- United Kingdom: TV Nation (1994).
Michael Moore has a fine old time sending up the Brits and their penchant for corporal punishment. See those School Dinners whackings in full! Comedy at its best!
-- United Kingdom: TV coverage, 1970s. Two clips.
(1) A 10-minute discussion about school corporal punishment, from BBC Question Time in 1979.
(2) A nine-minute report from a Glasgow school that uses the belt, 1978. New!
-- United Kingdom: Harrow Schools. Two clips.
(1) Lord Lichfield visits his old school and reminisces about canings there.
(2) Present-day students are introduced to the ancient birching stool.
-- United Kingdom: Brief excerpt from a 1950s TV item about school caning.
-- United Kingdom: A three-minute TV item from 1996 in which a caning headmaster, and three caned boys, are interviewed.
-- United Kingdom: TV news report, 1999: A group of Christian schools take legal action against the ban on school CP.
-- United Kingdom: TV news report, 2002: Sequel to the above item. The Court of Appeal rejects a Christian school's claim that the ban on CP is a contravention of human rights.
-- United Kingdom: 25 years without the Scottish school tawse.
BBC TV news report (2007) in which present-day students are shown how the belt was administered, 25 years after it disappeared from Scottish state schools.
-- United Kingdom: 1982 TV news item about European Court of Human Rights ruling in the Scottish tawse case.
Clip shows tawse being made, staged shots of tawse in use, report on implications of court judgment for CP in UK schools.
-- United Kingdom: TV news report, 2006: The Scottish school belt (tawse) rests in the museum; a local politician calls for it to be brought back.
-- United States: Real school paddlings caught on camera. Page 1.
Eight clips of real-life American school paddlings under way.
(1) High school seniors get licks in the hallway.
(2) More of the same.
(3) A student gets a hard one-swat paddling from coach in the locker room.
(4) A high school boy chooses a paddle swat instead of referral for skipping class.
(5) A student receives five moderate licks with the paddle in a Mississippi high school hallway.
(6) In a jocular atmosphere in a Texas high school classroom, a sports coach administers one paddle swat.
(7) A very brief glimpse of a hard paddle swat administered at a private Catholic boys' high school in Louisiana.
(8) A young boy gets a paddling in the school gym in a jocular atmosphere.
-- United States: Real school paddlings caught on camera. Page 2.
Three more clips of real-life American school paddlings under way.
(1) Two senior girls are paddled in class in a highly jocular atmosphere.
(2) Three paddle swats each for two Louisiana high-school students.
(3) A young boy is paddled. New!
-- United States: School paddling in 1978. Two clips.
(1) A rare piece of historic actuality: four-minute extract from a 1978 TV documentary showing a high-school punishment session in Pennsylvania.
(2) A 1978 TV news item about a high-school paddling in a small Oklahoma town. One of the spanked students is interviewed.
-- United States: Humorous cinema commercial imagines an old-time schoolroom paddling.
Part of our "Spank while you sell" feature on CP imagery in advertising.
-- United States: TV news report (Apr 2014) with comments on a legislative attempt to ban school paddling in Missouri.
-- United States: TV news report (Mar 2014) on a newly created school district in Tennessee that has decided to introduce corporal punishment.
-- United States: Three TV news reports (Feb 2014) on school paddling issues.
(1) In Mississippi, a complaint about CP at a private school.
(2) More on the Mississippi case, and a look at the legal situation. Is transient bruising "bodily harm"?
(3) Focus on Tennessee, where one school district is contemplating reintroducing the paddle.
-- United States: Video report (Jan 2014) on a middle-school paddling case in Georgia.
-- United States: Video report (Oct 2013) on school paddling in Tennessee. One middle school that reinstated CP found that attendance rates rose significantly.
-- United States: TV news debate on school paddling (Sep 2013) arising out of the case of a mother in Alabama who objected to it.
-- United States: TV news report (June 2013) about a proposal to reintroduce the punishment paddle in a Texas school district that had abolished it five years previously.
-- United States: Three TV news reports, April 2013.
(1) A Georgia mother complains about the paddling of her daughter.
(2) A Florida high-school coach is in trouble over birthday spankings.
(3) A Florida school district reintroduces CP, which it had earlier banned.
-- United States: TV news report (Mar 2013) about a boy's paddling at a private school in Mississippi.
-- United States: Three TV news reports, February 2013.
Two clips from North Carolina and one from Georgia look at the state of play over school paddling in specific places.
-- United States: TV news report, November 2012: The current spanking situation in Tennessee schools. Some wish to abolish CP.
-- United States: Six TV news reports, September 2012.
Five clips from Texas, four of them covering a controversy about male administrators spanking girls, the other from a district where paddling is alive and well and everybody is happy; and one clip from a Florida district considering reintroducing CP.
-- United States: TV news report, July 2012: A school district in Tennessee decides that parents will be assumed to consent to CP unless they state to the contrary in writing (instead of the other way round).
-- United States: Two TV news reports, June 2012: A school district in Arkansas reintroduces corporal punishment after a lapse of several years.
-- United States: Three TV news reports, May 2012:
(1) A North Carolina school district abolishes corporal punishment, though many local parents would have wished it kept.
(2) Interview with Rev. Kenneth Whalum of the Memphis (TN) school board, who wants paddling brought back.
(3) A Texas high school principal is suspended over allegations that he paddled a student too hard. Bruises are seen.
-- United States: TV news report, Mar 2012: A school district in North Carolina gives up the paddle after finding that it had the second highest number of spankings in the state.
-- United States: Two TV news reports on school CP, Feb 2012:
(1) Paddling is alive and well in some parts of Georgia. Statistics and interviews.
(2) Schools in rural Texas explain their paddling policies, for which there is local support. A student prefers receiving CP to other punishments.
-- United States: TV news report, Jan 2012: Mother complains about school paddling of her son, even though she had given permission for it.
-- United States: TV news report, Dec 2011: Teacher accused of spanking in an SC district where CP is not permitted.
-- United States: TV news report, Nov 2011: Paddling practice of schools in a part of Louisiana.
-- United States: TV news report, Oct 2011: reactions to new law in North Carolina under which parents may exempt their students from CP.
-- United States: TV news report, Sep 2011: Paddling statistics and debate in South Carolina.
-- United States: Two TV news reports on school CP, August 2011:
(1) Divided opinions in Missouri, where some school districts still retain a paddling policy.
(2) In Montgomery, Alabama, CP has become less common but some parents still favour it.
-- United States: TV news report on school CP, June 2011: Developments in the continuing dispute over paddling at St Augustine High School, New Orleans.
-- United States: Three TV news reports on school CP from May 2011:
(1) New legislation proposed in Texas to limit school CP. A student describes his paddling.
(2) School paddling as viewed in an ethnic minority area of Texas.
(2) Corporal punishment alive and well in a district of south-west Georgia.
-- United States: Two TV news reports on school CP from April 2011:
(1) Dispute over a paddling incident in Texas.
(2) Report from a Missouri school district where CP is alive and well.
-- United States: Nine TV news reports on school CP from March 2011:
(1), (2) and (3) Three items about the latest developments at St Augustine in New Orleans.
(4) and (5) Reports on a new billboard campaign against corporal punishment in schools.
(6) A rally to support a proposed ban on paddling in Texas.
(7) and (8) Two reports about a mass march on the archdiocese in the ongoing attempt to restore paddling at St Augustine High in New Orleans.
(9) News item on a teacher in Florida who seems to have got a bit carried away.
-- United States: Five TV news reports on school CP from February 2011:
(1) Texas mother complains after son, 11, is paddled at school.
(2) Prospects for the return of CP to Memphis schools.
(3) New push to ban paddling in Texas.
(4) and (5) Two reports about demonstrations over the ban on paddling at St Augustine High in New Orleans.
-- United States: Two TV news reports on school CP from December 2010:
(1) A fuss in Texas about two 17-year-old girls paddled for going to the toilet without permission.
(2) The Mississippi basketball coach at the centre of a row over paddling returns to work; not everybody is pleased.
-- United States: Three TV news reports from November 2010 about school paddling:
(1), (2) Complaints about a basketball coach spanking high school players with a belt in Jackson, Mississippi, where corporal punishment is not permitted by the school district. PLUS: actual footage of one of the beltings caught on camera.
(3) A school district in Louisiana revises its CP rules, notably to allow for parental choice.
-- United States: "New State Law Has Schools Rethinking Corporal Punishment", TV news report from N. Carolina, Oct 2010.
-- United States: Two TV news reports from September 2010 about school paddling:
(1) A school district in North Carolina is amending its spanking policy.
(2) A look at corporal punishment in Arkansas schools.
-- United States: Two TV news reports from June 2010 about an attempt to reintroduce school paddling in Memphis, Tennessee.
-- United States: Four TV news stories from May 2010 about school paddling:
(1) A teacher in Dallas, where paddling was outlawed a few years ago, is campaigning for its return.
(2) East Texans split over corporal punishment.
(3) In Mississippi, a school accidentally paddles a boy whose mother had opted him out of CP.
(4) An Alabama school district gives parents a say in whether students are spanked.
-- United States: Five school paddling news stories from April 2010.
(1) At a high school in Alabama, 17 students are paddled for inappropriate attire at the senior prom.
(2) An attempt is being made in Congress to outlaw school paddling nationally. Report gives a Texas perspective.
(3) Report from Alvin, TX, where some schools still use CP.
(4) Schools in Temple, Texas, report improved behavior following the reintroduction a year ago of the paddle.
(5) Another short take on the Temple TX story, this time from distant Oregon.
-- United States: Three school paddling news stories from March 2010.
(1) Teachers in an Arkansas school want CP to be brought back.
(2) TV crew visits a district in North Carolina with the most paddlings in the state, but also one of the lowest levels of violent incidents.
(3) Another N. Carolina district with a relatively high spanking rate, but a low drop-out rate.
-- United States: School paddling news stories from Feb 2010.
(1) Yet another mother, this time in New Mexico, complains about her son's paddling at school.
(2) A video report on the state of school CP in Kentucky.
-- United States: Substitute teacher gets involved in paddling prank.
TV news segment from Tennessee (Dec 2009) about a strange case in which high school students negotiated to get swats instead of doing their work.
-- United States: Alabama father complains his sons' school paddlings were excessive.
Two brothers were paddled for chronic tardiness to school. Their father supports CP but believes the swats were excessive. The elder boy, 17, talks about his punishment. TV news report from Oct 2009.
-- United States: Corporal punishment banned in Ohio.
Local reactions to the abolition of paddling in Ohio (September 2009).
-- United States: Corporal punishment in Alabama.
A new report notes that paddlings are high in Alabama. A local TV report (Aug 2009) finds differing opinions, and interviews a school superintendent who says many parents support CP.
-- United States: Two TV news reports on an attempt to abolish school CP in Louisiana, June 2009.
(1) State Rep. Barbara Norton introduces House Bill 571.
(2) The Bill is defeated in committee.
-- United States: Corporal punishment in a Florida school district, June 2009.
While one Florida district decides to abandon the paddle, a news TV crew visits another district where CP is still used, but only at elementary level and only by parental request.
-- United States: Two TV news reports tied to archive news for May 2009.
(1) Temple ISD in Texas reintroduces school paddling.
(2) In another Texas district, a paddled boy's mother complains about bruises on her son's bottom. The boy describes his punishment.
-- United States: Three TV news reports tied to archive news for March 2009.
(1) A brief report on paddling in Oklahoma.
(2) A state representative in Louisiana is seeking to get school corporal punishment abolished in that state. Not everyone agrees.
(3) Anti-CP agitators try to stir up controversy outside a Memphis charter school that paddles, but parents who support the school's policy mount a counter-demonstration.
-- United States: Two TV news reports tied to archive news for Feb 2009.
(1) Governor of Ohio proposes school paddling ban.
(2) A charter school in Memphis is under fire for its "public paddling" policy.
-- United States: TV news report, Dec 2008: Corporal punishment is abolished in Columbia County, Georgia.
-- United States: TV news report, Nov 2008: A Texas woman complains about her son's paddling at school, even though she gave permission for it.
-- United States: TV news report, Oct 2008: Corporal punishment is illegal in Chicago schools, but it turns out that sports coaches at several schools there have been paddling students. There is a brief and distant glimpse of a paddling caught on security camera.
-- United States: A follow-up report (Dec 2008) on the above. Two coaches are fired for illegal paddling in Chicago schools.
-- United States: Paddling news from Missouri. Two TV news items from September 2008.
(1) Report on paddling policies in the north-east of the state, after a mother moves there from a non-paddling state and is shocked to discover that CP is on the books.
(2) A principal in another part of Missouri is found to have done no wrong in administering a paddling about which the student's mother complained.
-- United States: Seven TV news clips about school paddling.
These 7 excerpts from news shows on various US TV channels (in Arkansas, Kentucky, N. Carolina, Oklahoma and Texas) all come from August 2008. They relate to various decisions to abolish or extend school CP and, in particular, use the publication of an anti-CP ACLU/Human Rights Watch report as a peg on which to hang coverage of CP practice in their area. Two clips include interviews with paddled students. Scroll down the page to find each clip in its context.
-- United States: Three excerpts from a TV documentary about a paddling school in Arkansas.
From a "fly-on-the-wall" TV series (Aug 2008) about schools and their principals, these clips show the process whereby errant students at an Arkansas high school may opt for a paddling in lieu of Saturday school. Two such punishments are heard on the soundtrack from inside the principal's office -- one paddling of a boy and one of a girl. The students who received them, and the principal, are interviewed.
-- United States: Three TV news reports from April 2008 on parents complaining about school paddlings.
(1) A Tennessee father is angry about his 11-year-old son's paddling at school.
(2) In Missouri, a 15-year-old girl and her mother, and the school superintendent, are interviewed about a paddling which turned out to be harder than the girl was expecting.
(3) A mother in Texas is up in arms about the severity with which, she says, her 17-year-old son was paddled at school.
-- United States: North Carolina mother complains about paddling (2 clips).
(1) TV news item from Jan 2008 about the paddling of a student. His mother had given permission for the punishment, but then complained when it left marks on his rear. An investigation found there had been no abuse or wrongdoing on the part of the school.
(2) Another TV report about the same case.
-- United States: Proposal to ban CP in Ohio schools.
Two short TV news reports (Dec 2007) on a move by Ohio legislators to outlaw school paddling.
-- United States: More on proposed Ohio CP ban.
A further TV news report (Jan 2008) on the above, including an interview with a high school principal who uses the paddle.
-- United States: Paddling controversy.
News report (Dec 2007) about the paddling of a boy, 11, in a Tennessee middle school. His grandmother had given permission for the punishment, but then complained that the swats were too hard. The district superintendent is interviewed.
-- United States: Middle school mass paddling.
TV news report (September 2007) from Tennessee, where parents have complained that a paddling of about a dozen sixth-graders went too far.
-- United States: Unfair punishment of student.
TV news report (September 2007) from Texas about a schoolboy, 12, who was ineptly and unjustly paddled by his football coach, leaving a bruise on his leg.
-- United States: Interview with a Memphis teacher, May 2007, who says that the abolition of corporal punishment has failed.
-- United States: Follow-up to the above.
June 2007: Memphis school board meeting at which concerns are expressed over the consequences of abolishing CP. Two TV news reports, one before and one after the meeting. A school board member who wants paddling to be brought back is interviewed.
-- United States: Memphis, continued.
A further follow-up to the previous two items. TV news report from Memphis school board town hall meeting in July 2007 over continuing controversy about the Blue Ribbon Plan, which abolished CP. Speakers at the meeting are seen calling for the return of the paddle, and a nubile hackette waves a paddle around for the camera.
-- United States: Yet more from Memphis.
TV news report (August 2007) about another Memphis school board town hall meeting. At this one, not a single speaker from the floor agreed with the Blue Ribbon Plan, under which paddling was abolished.
-- United States: Memphis update, May 2008.
May 2008 and the dispute over CP in Memphis (see previous items) has not gone away. Now the city's Mayor, addressing the school board directly, calls for paddling to be brought back.
-- United States: Members of the public are interviewed in Fayetteville, North Carolina, April 2007, on their views about corporal punishment in school in light of a bill to abolish paddling in the state.
-- United States: TV news report, 2007: Proposal to reintroduce paddling in Conway, Arkansas.
-- United States: Two TV news reports from North Carolina, 2007.
(1) A six-minute report (Nov 2007) includes an interview with a rural principal who believes the paddle is effective, and still uses it regularly.
(2) Two-minute clip (Jan 2007) gives brief overview of CP situation in North Carolina.
-- United States: TV news anchor Shepard Smith describes getting paddled at his private school in the late 1970s.
-- United States: TV news report (2005) on unsuccessful efforts to get school paddling banned in a district of North Carolina.
-- United States: TV report (June 2007) from Chattanooga, Tennessee.
A private school is closing down. The principal proposes to auction off his paddle.
-- United States: TV report (August 2007) on a controversy over school discipline in Georgia.
A schoolboy's parents refuse to let his school spank him. The mother is interviewed.
-- United States: Two TV news reports on school paddling cases in 2005.
Both stories, one in Texas and one in North Carolina, feature paddled boys and their complaining mothers.
-- United States: Another TV news report (2006) on a mother complaining about school paddling, even though she had given permission for it.
This case is from Arkansas. The principal was arrested but later cleared of any wrongdoing.
-- United States: Yet another TV news report (2006) featuring a mother unhappy about her son's paddling at school, even though she had given permission for it.
This case is from Tennessee. In addition to the mother, the local Director of Schools is interviewed.
-- United States: "Police: Coach ordered corporal punishment of player".
TV news item from 2006 about allegations that a basketball coach at a high school in Virginia (where CP is banned in public schools) made members of the team take turns to spank one of their number.
-- United States: Three TV news reports (2006) about school paddling. Two are about a mass paddling of boys by the football coach at a middle school in Mississippi. The other is a visit to Texas where a school principal has reinstated CP to general approval, and includes a boy and a girl submitting to demonstration paddlings for the camera.
-- Vietnam: Real-life corporal punishment of schoolboys in the classroom.
Ten video clips.
-- Vietnam: Mass canings of schoolgirls are caught on camera. Two clips.
-- Vietnam: Real classroom canings of girls and boys. Ten films.
-- Yemen: Mass punishment of students.
-- Zimbabwe: Caning of schoolboys.