|www.corpun.com : Archive : 2001 : MY Judicial Jun 2001|
Judicial CP - June 2001
The Star, Kuala Lumpur, 8 June 2001
Operators of get-rich-quick schemes face stiffer penaltiesBy Anthony Tan
ALOR STAR: Organisers of get-rich-quick schemes will face stiffer penalties, including possible caning, under a new Act which is being legislated to curb such schemes.
Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the ministry would leave it to the Attorney-General's Chambers to decide if caning should be included as punishment.
"For us, it is good because people are afraid of caning as it hurts," he told reporters yesterday after launching a nationwide campaign against get-rich-quick schemes.
Muhyiddin said the ministry was also studying the possibility of including penalties against participants of such schemes under the new Act.
He hoped that drafting of the Act would be completed this year.
In his speech earlier, Muhyiddin said the ministry would propose mandatory fines and jail sentences against offenders in the new Act as penalties under existing laws were ineffective.
He said the ministry had also legislated a new regulation which disallowed direct-selling companies from paying bonuses or commissions to distributors for recruiting new members.
"Bonuses can only be paid based on sales made by the distributor," he said, adding that the regulation would be gazetted by end of the month.
Muhyiddin said 42 cases of get-rich-quick schemes had been reported to the Registrar of Companies since late last year while Bank Negara reported 22 cases of illegal deposit-taking from 1989 to 2000 of which eight accused were found guilty.
Of 468 companies which were carrying out direct-selling, he said eight to 10 had been found to be conducting pyramid selling schemes which were illegal.
He said some new schemes detected were in the guise of direct-selling, property investment, commodities, health products and lucky draws with most of them giving priority to recruitment of new members and not sale of products.
© 1995-2001 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)
Daily Express, Sabah, 23 June 2001
Filipinos who gang-raped student get maximum
Kota Kinabalu: It is maximum 20 years' jail and 10 strokes of the rotan each for two Filipino construction workers who mercilessly gang-raped a 22-year-old college student at a housing estate last week while intending to commit burglary.
Sessions Court Judge Nurchaya Arshad meted out the sentence on Nurvin Lakimi, 33, and Oscar Burung, 23, Friday for the offence which they jointly committed with another accomplice still at large in Luyang at about 3am on June 12.
The duo were also jailed two years Thurdsay by the Magistrate's Court for stealing five pairs of sandals from the same premise at about 2am that day.
According to the facts of the case, the victim was asleep on the living room sofa when she was rudely awakened by an unidentified man standing in front of her.
They had earlier gained entry into the home by force.
When she tried to shout, the man shoved a pillow to her face and threatened to harm her.
The man then gagged her mouth and tied her hands with a scarf and her legs with a towel.
The trio then took turns to rape her before fleeing with a hi-fi set, a VCD player, a handphone, the victim's personal documents and a gold bracelet worn by the victim.
The victim managed to free herself and came out of the house to seek her neighbours' help.
Police who were alerted managed to apprehend Nurvin and Oscar at a nearby housing area but their accomplice managed to escape.
Police also recovered a parang and the victim's personal documents on them. The culprits also led police to some bushes near a rubbish disposal area where they kept their loot.
Prosecuting officer ASP Bernard Leo pressed for a deterrent sentence, saying the victim will suffer mental anguish for years to come.
Copyright © Daily Express, Sabah, Malaysia
THE ARCHIVE index
www.corpun.com Main menu page
© Colin Farrell
Page created: August 2001