corpunWorld Corporal Punishment Research

ruler   :  Archive   :  2005   :  BN Judicial Oct 2005



Judicial CP - October 2005

Corpun file 16792

BruneiDirect, 12 October 2005

Civil Servant Jailed For Raping Daughter

By Malai FadleyRizal

Bandar Seri Begawan - A 34-year-old civil servant was sentenced to 11 years in jail and 12 strokes of the cane after he pleaded guilty before the Bandar High Court to raping his 14-year-old daughter.

Justice Datin Paduka Hayati heard from Prosecuting Officer Dk Hjh Hana Molina that the father of three girls had raped his eldest daughter at their house on two occasions.

The two incidents occurred on October 13, 2004 and September 20, 2005 in the victim's bedroom. -- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

Copyright 1999-2005 All rights reserved.

Corpun file 16865

BruneiDirect, 25 October 2005

Eight Years, 12 Strokes For Gang Robbery

By Rol Ezam


Bandar Seri Begawan - A Bruneian man was sentenced to eight years' imprisonment and 12 strokes of the cane by the Intermediate Court judge yesterday after he pleaded guilty to taking part in the Sungai Kupang armed gang robbery last year, in which he and two others managed to flee with RM10,000 in cash.

The defendant, Bongsu bin Hi Tengah, 31, admitted to have committed the offence with Muhammad Khairul Anwar bin Abdullah Mom in @ Gines Ak Momin and Mohammad Yahya bin Hj Modin on March 25 last year.

The other two have pleaded not guilty to the charges and are standing trial.

The court heard that sometime in February last year the defendant rented a boat with a 40hp Yamaha engine from a man from Kampong Peramu, Kampong Ayer.

The defendant agreed to pay the man $20 a day as rental for the boat and engine. The purpose of renting the boat was for the defendant to operate it as a water-taxi in and around the waters of Kampong Ayer.

On March 23, the defendant went to Limbang with a man known to him as 'Yahya' who lives in Kampong Lurong Dalam.

While in Limbang, Yahya allegedly told the defendant of a plan to rob a Malaysian Chinese man who runs a money changing business in the capital and was believed to be carrying large amounts of cash when commuting between Limbang-Brunei-Limbang every day using a speedboat.

Since the defendant was short of cash and needed to pay for the rental of his boat, he agreed to Yahya's suggestion.

When the defendant and Yahya returned to Brunei the next day, they told a man called 'Gines' about the robbery plan. The three of them thereafter made preparations for the execution of the plan.


Sometime after 3pm on March 25, the three made their way from Yahya's house to a location at Sungai Kupang using the defendant's boat. In the vicinity of Sungai Kupang they moored the boat by the bank while waiting for the speedboat to pass.

The three covered their faces with cloth to prevent others from identifying them.

Upon seeing the speedboat approaching from the direction of Bandar Seri Begawan, Yahya threw a long fishing net (pukat) across the path of the speedboat forcing it to change its course towards the mangroves while at the same time navigated his boat and rammed into the speedboat causing it to stall by the river bank.


The defendant saw Yahya swing the parang at passengers inside the speedboat and saw the Chinese man being injured. Moments later, the defendant saw Gines and Yahya rushing back to his boat and saw Yahya carrying a black bag. Yahya told the defendant to speed off leaving the target speedboat and its passengers by the riverbank.

The defendant sped off and stopped somewhere in the vicinity of Sungai Menunggol. On the way Yahya opened the stolen black bag. The defendant saw currency notes from various countries and some papers. Leaving the currency notes inside the bag, Yahya threw the rest of the items into the river. The defendant then navigated the boat to a mangrove near the Technology Museum where all three of them changed their clothes. Before leaving the area and heading inland, the defendant with the help of Yahya and Gines turned the boat over and hid the boat's engine behind bushes.


The defendant eventually confessed to his nephew about the robbery and gave information about his accomplices, Yahya and Gines. The defendant's nephew brought him to the Police HQ where the defendant surrendered himself to the Serious Crimes Police personnel.  -- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

Copyright 1999-2005 All rights reserved.

blob THE ARCHIVE index  Main menu page

Copyright Colin Farrell 2006
Page created: March 2006